Find the right solution for your business with our free Fleet Management Buyer’s Guide.
Many small fleets view GPS fleet management systems as excessive – something reserved for larger national or even international operations.
While it’s true that small fleets may not make use of every feature of a comprehensive fleet tracking solution, that’s not to say they aren’t still extremely valuable.
GPS systems can help smaller fleets identify whether their limited resource is working as it should be. With a solution in place, you can spot and reduce inefficiency, increase fuel economy and better realise the full potential of your fleet.
Bearing that in mind, here are four ways small fleets can benefit from a GPS fleet management solution.
1. Increase efficiency
When you operate a small fleet, just one blind spot (an inefficient vehicle, driver or practice such as idling) can have a significant impact on the overall efficiency of your operation.
With a GPS solution in place, you get total visibility of your fleet, allowing you to spot inefficiencies wherever they may be hiding.
- Monitor driver behaviour to limit practices such as idling, speeding and harsh braking – all of which can affect fuel consumption.
- Improve routing to reduce out-of-route mileage, helping to make every mile profitable.
- Help every vehicle take the most efficient route from A to B to allow you to add more jobs in the working day.
2. Make happy customers
With consumers more open than ever to shopping around for service providers, supplying a high-quality customer experience is of the utmost importance.
A GPS fleet management solution can help you keep your customers informed with timely and accurate ETAs.
- Quickly assign new jobs as soon as they come in.
- Provide accurate and informative ETAs based on near real-time driver location.
- Use fleet data to produce accurate and transparent invoicing – potentially increasing customer satisfaction.
3. Leverage your data
Though your fleet may be small, the amount of data it produces is anything but.
When leveraged to its full potential, this data can help you improve processes, reduce costs and increase efficiency across the board.
- Schedule reports on key metrics, such as safety and fuel consumption, to automatically run at regular intervals.
- Use your fleet data to automate processes such as timesheets and billing, allowing your drivers to focus on serving customers.
- Keep your data (quotes, notes, invoices and more) in a central portal, giving your employees access to vital information as soon as they need it.
4. Protect your assets
The fewer vehicles you have, the more vital they are to your operation. Losing a vehicle to accident, theft or breakdown can leave a gaping hole in your fleet – severely hampering productivity.
A GPS solution can help you keep your vehicles and drivers safe, on the road and performing to the best of their ability at all times.
- Monitor instances of unsafe driving to coach out habits such as speeding, hard braking and harsh cornering.
- Use geofences and near real-time location data to reduce costly unauthorised vehicle use.
- Set regular alerts based on mileage, time or engine hours to help you keep up with routine servicing such as tyre and oil filter changes.
Better utilise your resources
Whether you operate a fleet of 5 or 500, any tool that can help to boost efficiency while reducing fleet costs is worth serious consideration.
Contact us today if you'd like to find out how to get the most out of your small fleet with GPS fleet tracking.