HOS stands for Hours of Service. It is the maximum allowable working hours for commercial motor vehicle drivers in a given period. It also defines how much rest a truck driver should have between shifts.
The limits differ for property and passenger-carrying drivers.
While subject to change, here are the current hours of service rules in the United States:
Vehicles carrying property (e.g., goods trucks)
- 11-hour driving limit — Cannot drive for longer than 11 hours*
- 14-hour duty limit — Cannot be on duty for more than 14 hours*
- 30-minute rest breaks — Must be taken every eight hours
- 60-hour limit — Cannot drive more than 60 hours in any 7-day period**
- 70-hour limit — Cannot drive more than 70 hours in any 8-day period**
Vehicles carrying people (e.g., bus)
- 10-hour driving limit — Cannot drive for longer than 10 hours***
- 15-hour duty limit — Cannot be on duty for more than 15 hours***
- 60-hour limit — Cannot drive more than 60 hours in any 7-day period
- 70-hour limit — Cannot drive more than 70 hours in any 8-day period
*Must be followed by at least 10 hours off duty
**Requires 34 hours off duty to reset this period (the 34-hour restart)
***Must be followed by at least eight hours off duty
Please refer to the FMCSA website for the most up-to-date rules.
Why are HOS regulations necessary?
HOS rules are intended to keep fatigued drivers off the road and improve safety for other road users. According to the FMCSA, fatigue was the primary cause of 13% of significant accidents involving large commercial vehicles.
How are HOS recorded?
Traditionally, HOS are recorded using paper logbooks, though the new ELD Mandate requires that a record of duty status is maintained using an electronic logging device.
Our HOS solution helps reduce Form & Manner and driving time violations with 395.15-compliant electronic logs. HOS reports are available in a variety of formats.
Built to make your driver’s day easy, this FMCSA-certified ELD is connected directly to the vehicle for improved accuracy and automated logging. Includes 24/7 phone support.