Why should you track commercial vehicles?
Commercial GPS tracking helps businesses manage their vehicles effectively, meet legal obligations, organize necessary maintenance and improve overall safety.
What do you need to track company vehicles
Vehicle tracking systems, such as Verizon Connect’s fleet tracking software, have been around for many years and the technology has advanced significantly in that time. It is now much easier for business owners to deploy a vehicle tracking system.
- A vehicle (car or truck) with an OBD-II slot
- A vehicle tracking device (to plug in to the OBD-II slot)*
- A SIM card with a data plan (available from Verizon Wireless). The SIM card is inserted into the vehicle tracking device so it can transmit data.
- A vehicle tracking system (to receive the data)
*Some vehicles are equipped with factory-fitted vehicle tracking devices. Learn more about OEM telematics.
Will my drivers be OK with vehicle tracking?
How you manage the deployment of a vehicle tracking system can make a big difference in how accepting your drivers will be. There is much you can do to help employees understand the reasons for tracking vehicles and why it’s a positive change for them and the business.
If you have any concerns about introducing vehicle tracking to your staff speak with a fleet management consultant, and develop a detailed plan of how, when and where vehicles will be tracked.
What are the potential benefits of vehicle tracking?
There are significant benefits of using a vehicle tracking system that are making it a very popular options for fleets of all sizes.
The benefits can help improve business productivity, profitability, safety and security.
Here are some common benefits experienced by businesses who have deployed vehicle tracking:
- Reduce unauthorized vehicle use
- Control and reduce fuel costs
- Reduce labor costs
- Easily organize, manage and optimize route stops (jobs, deliveries etc.)
- Provide visibility to back office dispatchers
- Improve vehicle security (or recovery of stolen vehicles)
- Automated reporting of mileage, engine hours, driving hours (ELD) or time at a job site
- Because a vehicle tracking system offers more than just basic GPS location data, the full benefits may vary depending on the requirements of your business. Talk to us about your options for making vehicle tracking work for you.
Get a Free Demo
No commitment. Takes around 15 minutes.